Peacebuilding Commission's annual session 2021 - Financing for peacebuilding
The PBC annual session offers the opportunity to reaffirm the centrality of peacebuilding and to explore and develop concrete options in response to the 2020 General Assembly and Security Council resolutions on peacebuilding and sustaining peace (A/RES/75/201- S/RES/2558) as well as the Secretary General's report on Our Common Agenda, with a view to inform the Commission's inputs to the high-level meeting of the General Assembly.
The objectives of the meeting are to:
- Discuss with key partners relevant good practices and approaches for ensuring adequate, predictable and sustained financing for peacebuilding.
- Share Member States' progress in implementing the proposals on financing put forward by the Secretary-General in his reports on peacebuilding and sustaining peace (A/72/707–S/2018/43; A/73/890–S/2019/448; A/74/976–S/2020/773).
- Make concrete and substantive suggestions on the content of the PBC input to the General Assembly high-level meeting on financing.
- Opening remarks by H.E. Mr. Osama Abdelkhalek, Chair of the Peacebuilding Commission
- Introductory remarks by H.E. Mr. Abdulla Shahid, President of the General Assembly
- High-level interactive session moderated by Ms. Elizabeth Cousens, President and CEO, UN Foundation, with:
- Ms. Rosemary DiCarlo, Under-Secretary-General, DPPA, United Nations
- Ms. Soukeyna Kane, Director, Fragility, Conflict and Violence, World Bank Group
- Mr. Yero Baldeh, Director, Transition States Coordination Office (RDTS), African Development Bank Group
- Mr. Philippe Valahu, CEO, Private Infrastructure Development Group (PIDG)
- Representatives of Member States
- Closing remarks by the Chair
The Peacebuilding Commission (PBC) is an intergovernmental advisory body that supports peace efforts in conflict-affected countries and is a key addition to the capacity of the International Community in the broad peace agenda.