The Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent 30th public session on Children of African Descent will be held from 23 to 27 May 2022 in New York, USA.
Item 6: Thematic Discussion: TOPIC 4
The Administration of Justice and Children of African Descent
Expert statement and Panel Chair: Dominique Day
1. Ms. Kris Henning (USA) author Rage of Innocence video
2. Prof. Verene Shepherd (Jamaica) Chairperson, Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
3. Mr. Benyam Mezmur (Ethiopia). Member of the Committee on the Rights of the Child video
4. Ms. Alexandra Montgomery, Director of programmes, Amnesty International Brazil (Brazil) video
5. Prof. Robin Walker Sterling (USA), North Western University video
The thematic session will discuss the human rights situation of children of African descent globally. The session will involve extensive discussions on racial discrimination and inequality faced by children of African descent in all areas of life including administration of justice, law enforcement, education, health, family life, development, as well as redress for legacies of enslavement, colonialism, and racial segregation.