Currently, as reported by UN Women, in the media industry, globally, only 31% of speaking roles are held by women, 21% of filmmakers are women, 23% of films feature women protagonists.
In order to support the call for a gender-equal media and entertainment industry, the Permanent Mission of Italy to the UN and UN Women, together with a cross-regional group of Member States (list to be finalized), are promoting a special movie screening, to take place in the U.N. General Assembly Hall on March 3rd at 6 pm, during Women's History Month and right before the International Women Day and the opening of the 67th CSW.
The movie has been created by the non-profit organization "We Do It Together" (WDIT) which is focused on women's empowerment and will be co-promoter and partner of the event. It is composed of different short film segments, directed by a diverse and international group of filmmakers (Lucia Bulgheroni, Silvia Carobbio, Catherine Hardwicke, Taraji P. Henson, Mipo O, Lucía Puenzo, Maria Sole Tognazzi, Leena Yadav), featuring an international cast (Margherita Buy, Cara Delevingne, Jacqueline Fernandez, Marcia Gay Harden, Jennifer Hudson, Anjali Lama, Eva Longoria, Jasmine Luv, Leonor Varela, Pauletta Washington, Anne Watanabe), telling inspirational and empowering stories. The original song of the movie entitled "Applause" is an anthem for women and has just received an Oscar nomination; written by Diane Warren; performed by Sofia Carson.
- Welcoming remarks by the Permanent Representative of Italy, Ambassador Maurizio Massari
- Opening remarks by the Under-Secretary-General for Global Communications, Melissa Fleming
- Opening remarks by the Executive Director of UN Women, Sima Bahous
- Opening remarks by the Permanent Representative of Argentina, Ambassador María del Carmen Squeff
- Introduction of We Do It Together and the Movie by Chiara Tilesi (Producer, Founder of WDIT)
- 6:18 pm: Movie Screening (total time: 1 h 52 min) [not for webcast]
- 8:12 pm: Interactive segment with the directors, the actresses, and the co-sponsoring Missions.