25th Anniversary of the Children and Armed Conflict Mandate with Launch of the 25th anniversary study
The event will be an opportunity to reflect on the progress for conflict-affected children in the past 25 years, to highlight the added value of the Children and Armed Conflict mandate as part of the human rights, peace and security, peacebuilding, development and humanitarian agendas, and to explore how, by focusing on prevention, can the mandate further contribute to sustainable peace.
The event will also be an opportunity for UN partners, Member States, and civil society organizations to hear more/discuss the achievements for children and the key findings of the study, to emphasize the importance of joint advocacy for the protection of conflict-affected children and mostly, to hear more from those at the heart of the CAAC mandate: the children themselves.
The commemorative high-level event is organized by the Office of the SRSG CAAC, together with Norway and other co-sponsors.
- Video Message from the UN Secretary-General
- H.E. Anniken Huitfeldt, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Norway (confirmed)
- Ms. Virginia Gamba, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict (confirmed)
- Ms. Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director (TBC)
- Ms. Rosemary DiCarlo, Under-Secretary-General for Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (confirmed)
- Mr. Jean-Pierre Lacroix, Under-Secretary-General for Peace Operations (TBC)
- General Romeo Dallaire, Dallaire Institute for Children, Peace, and Security (confirmed)
- Mr. Forest Whitaker, Advocate for Children Affected by War (Video Message)
- Ms. Aisha Zannah, a young activist from Maiduguri and girl's education advocate (confirmed)
- H.E. Ms. María del Carmen Squeff, Permanent Representative of Argentina to the United Nations (confirmed)
- H.E. Mr. Robert Rae, Permanent Representative of Canada to the United Nations (confirmed)
- H.E. Mr. Abdou Abarry, Permanent Representative of Niger to the United Nations (TBC)