There is the need to examine and synthesize the views of Member States on the Council's cooperation with regional arrangements and how best such regional arrangements can be better equipped to deal with the challenges and threats of our world today, especially in relation to the logistical, human and financial capacity required for the maintenance of international peace and security.
- How can the Council in its primary responsibility of maintaining of international peace and security foster closer cooperation with regional organizations to enable them better respond to the various threats to peace and security in their regions?
- Specifically, how can the Council effectively and systematically address the issue of predictable, sustainable and flexible funding, including through the use of UN assessed contributions for peace support operations undertaken by regional organizations such as the African Union?
- Which other tools, besides the military options, can the UN system explore to support regional arrangements in a coherent manner for the maintenance of peace and security?
The Arria Formula meeting will be chaired by H.E Harold Adlai Agyeman, the Permanent Representative of Ghana to the UN.
The meeting will be briefed by the following:
- H.E. Dr. Donald Kaberuka, High Representative for the African Union (AU) Peace Fund
- H.E. Ms. Damtien Larbli Tchintchibidja, Vice President of the ECOWAS Commission
- Ms. Pernilla Rydén, Director of the Challenges Forum International Secretariat
- Ms. Lidet Tadesse Shiferaw, Associate Director/Peaceful Societies and Accountable Governance, European Centre for Development Policy Management (ECDPM)