(10th meeting) Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, 22nd session, Closing(10th meeting) Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, 22nd session, Closing
Broadcasting UN Entity
UNPFII Twenty-Second Session: 17-28 April 2023. Theme: "Indigenous Peoples, human health, planetary and territorial health and climate change: a rights-based approach".
- Item 7: Provisional agenda of the twenty-third session
- Item 8: Adoption of the report of the Permanent Forum on its twenty-second session
- Closing of the session
The United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII) is a high- level advisory body to the Economic and Social Council. The Forum was established on 28 July 2000 by resolution 2000/22, with the mandate to deal with indigenous issues related to economic and social development, culture, the environment, education, health and human rights.
More specifically, the Permanent Forum:
- provides expert advice and recommendations on indigenous issues to the Council, as well as to programmes, funds and agencies of the United Nations, through ECOSOC;
- raises awareness and promotes the integration and coordination of activities related to indigenous issues within the UN system;
- prepares and disseminates information on indigenous issues;
- promotes respect for and full application of the provisions of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and follow up the effectiveness of this Declaration (Art. 42 UNDRIP).