As the agency within the United Nations system mandated to promote socially and environmentally sustainable cities for all, UN-Habitat has made it clear that tackling homelessness is a precondition for the full realisation of human rights, as well as our ability to meet Agenda 2030.
Objectives of the event
- Create a global movement of national and local governments to support a renewed social contract underpinned by housing for all as key for the concrete realization of human rights, social inclusion and protection;
- Strengthen awareness of the centrality of housing and ending homelessness to deliver on the New Urban Agenda and the Agenda2030;
- Present the latest developments on ending and preventing homelessness and ensuring access to housing for all, discuss existing challenges and initiatives;
- Present the scope and roadmap, as well as launch the works on the SG Report on inclusive social development policies and programmes to address homelessness in the aftermath of COVID-19, to be presented at the 77th Session of the General Assembly and for which UN-Habitat will be pen-holder;
- Highlight the complementary roles of member states, local governments, civil society, academia, and private sector in ending homelessness and ensuring housing for all.