Taking Forward Nuclear Risk Reduction - Side event to the NPT Review Conference
The United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research (UNIDIR), alongside the British American Security Information Council (BASIC) and the Governments of the Netherlands and Switzerland, are organizing an event on the margins of the NPT Review Conference on Taking Forward Nuclear Risk Reduction.
Constructive dialogue around the topic of 'nuclear risk reduction' has featured prominently in this review cycle of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). The issue gained even more prominence as a result of the invasion of Ukraine. This event seeks to contribute to informed discussion on the topic. Speakers will:
- consider the evolution of the nuclear risk reduction agenda and possible outcomes on the topic at this NPT Review Conference;
- identify practical measures that can be implemented in the short term (including in the area of crisis prevention and management);
- explore priorities for the international community in advancing a multilateral agenda on risk reduction.
- Robin Geiss, UNIDIR
- Amb. Robbert Jan Gabriëlse, Netherlands
A Conversation with:
- Marion Messmer, BASIC
- Tong Zhao, Carnegie-Tsinghua
- Andrey Baklitskiy, UNIDIR
- Leah Walker, IST
Moderated by Amb. Félix Baumann, Switzerland
Closing remarks from:
- Alexandra Bell, USA