The objective of the fourth edition of the Local and Regional Governments Forum is to foster multilevel governance and partnership among different spheres of government, the international community and other stakeholders within the Decade of Action for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda, and to foster an inclusive, resilient and locally driven recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Local and regional governments have been at the forefront of the achievement of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) also through the provision of local public services and management of the territory. Within the context of the crises stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, local public service provision has proved to be vital to ensuring that people and the planet are duly protected.
- To ensure a recovery that is inclusive, sustainable and resilient, the maintenance of these services and access to adequate funding will be key. Moreover, ensuring the achievement of the New Urban Agenda and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, as accelerators for transformation at the local level will be essential to ensure that no one and no place is left behind.
- The fourth High-Level Local and Regional Governments Forum (LRGF) will illustrate the importance of localizing action towards the achievement of the SDGs in review in 2021 and how partnerships amongst spheres of government and stakeholders are crucial in this regard.
- This Special Event will highlight the actions taken and the solutions needed by the local and regional governments constituency for an inclusive, sustainable and resilient recovery from COVID-19, by: emphasizing the link between local public service provision and health coverage illustrating the role local and regional governments play in guaranteeing social inclusion and prosperity, reskilling workers and preparing for the transformation of work and evolving models of production and consumption, rethinking the human-nature relationship, and achieving strong institutions based on solidarity and cooperation across borders and continents. - The fourth Local and Regional Governments Forum will bring together local, regional, and national governments to discuss how decentralized cooperation among local and regional governments and their association and networks, national authorities and the international community can contribute to the achievement of the global goals. - The fourth Local and Regional Governments Forum will address the main theme of 2021 by bringing concrete recommendations to support a sustainable and resilient recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, building an inclusive and effective path for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda. It will also be an opportunity for local and regional governments and other stakeholders to announce SDG Acceleration Actions in support of the Decade of Action.
- Each session will also draw on the findings from the Voluntary Local and Subnational Reviews conducted by cities and regions and their associations, and provide a space for these actors to present how they have addressed the topics through their VLR and VSR processes.