Accelerating Support for Women Human Rights Defenders (WHRDs) on the Front Lines of Conflict and Crisis: The global launch event of the New Women's Peace and Humanitarian Fund (WPHF) Funding window for Women Human Rights Defenders will serve as the official launch of the new WPHF Funding Window for WHRDs working for inclusive peace and humanitarian action.
The United Nations Women's Peace and Humanitarian Fund - together with Norway, Germany, the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) – are organizing this virtual launch event, which aims to:
- Raise awareness of the needs and gaps in support for the protection and advocacy of women peace activists and WHRDs
- Mobilize support for the new window among Member States to ensure financing for the protection and participation of WHRDs
- Enhance visibility of the new funding window among the international community, including member states, UN agencies, civil society organizations and WHRDs.
Event Speakers include:
- H.E. Ms. Anniken Huitfeldt, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Norway
- H.E. Ms. Annalena Baerbock, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Germany (TBC)
- Ms. Sima Bahous, UN Women Executive Director
- Women Human Rights Defenders & Peacebuilders from around the world
- Ms. Madeleine Rees, Sec Gen of WILPF
- Ms. Ghita El Khyari, Head of WPHF Secretariat
- Ms. Brands Kehris, UN Assistant Secretary Gen for Human Rights